A Sparkplug Coffee Quick Tip
Keep it clean! ...especially at work
I know, I know. You clean your coffee maker every time you use it. But when was the last time you gave it a really, really good deep clean?
A deep clean is easy to do. And the best part is that your coffee will taste better!
This is especially important for machines that get a lot of use. Thinking of you, office coffee drinkers!
For any automatic coffeemaker, here are the steps for a deep clean that will keep your coffee tasting great!
How to deep clean your coffee machine
- put a mix that is one-half water and one-half vinegar through your machine.
- just regular white vinegar - not something fancy like wine vinegar or balsamic!
- when it's done, rinse the vinegar out by running the machine through THREE times with plain water.
- wash the filter basket and carafe in warm, soapy water. Let them air dry.
Works with any coffee maker
A clean machine gives you better tasting coffee
Easy-peasy, right?! And it'll work with any electric, automatic coffee machine. Any brand - from Krups to KitchenAid, Breville to Bonavita, Cuisinart to Mister Coffee, even a Keurig (especially good to do if you're using the reusable filters!).
Better coffee at work
Heavy duty use needs regular cleaning
A failure to deep clean regularly is one of the main reasons that coffee at work is often pretty awful. The office machine is used a lot - maybe for several pots a day. Crud builds up in the nooks and crannies. Oil residue builds up in the filter basket, especially if you're brewing a darker roast coffee.
Keep your coffee tasting great!
- Use good quality, fresh roasted beans (check out our selection here - we'll mail them to you whenever you need)
- clean your coffee maker after every use - just wash out the coffee pot and brew basket with soap and water
- do a deep clean by running vinegar and water through once in a while.
How often should you do a deep clean?
- At least once a year
- Every couple months if you're using it daily
- Monthly if you're making several pots a day